Palazzo COSTA CARRU' della TRINITA'
This building, built around 1680, of great historic-artistic value, is attributed to architect Birago di Borgaro, later altered in the XIX century, and is under the supervision of the Office for the Environmental and Artistic Assets of the Piedmont region, under Law No. 1089/1939.
All the restoration operations have been identified and presented, including samplings and models, to both our client Committenza della D.L and the Office for the Environmental and Artistic Assets to obtain all the authorizations needed.
TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
This recuperation project intervenes on the consolidation of the building’s facade, aero-hydro washing at controlled pressure and temperature to remove filmogenic synthetic products.
Further mechanic delamination of plaster to complete removal of paint layers. Rinsing of all the surfaces with demineralized water low pressure washings.
Application of new plaster, at 50% stabilized mortar.
Reconstruction of profiles, pilasters, cornices, and friezes through the use of moulds and the creation of copies.
The intervention on existing friezes, cornices, pilasters, etc, was performed through careful mechanic delamination to complete removal of old paint layers.
Finally, a neutralizing chemical solution treatment was applied onto the perfectly clean and dry surfaces, previously repaired and/or reconstructed.
After a protective and/or consolidating coating, diluted to need, surfaces were treated with a potassium silicate coating with scumble glase finish.
All the stone elements were cleaned and brought back to their natural state.
Controlled pressure and temperature water washings were performed with special CEI machines CEI, ideal for the restoration of statues.
All the stone parts were first treated with pre-consolidating agents, and later with hydro-repellant consolidating agents to complete absorption.
The highly-ferric, rusty stone elements, were treated with special iron phosphatizing products.
The two stone fountains were completely restored.
In the first, all the missing elements, including gneiss missing portions in the lion’s head, and the white Carrara marble sculpted elements of the man’s head, including nose, one ear, and part of the hair.
The two fountains’ pumps were also brought back to working conditions.
All the eternal fittings on the façade were entirely restored, the hardware repaired, substituting a small portion of the mechanisms.
Application of polyurethane sealants, and restoration of badly maintained wood carvings.
Finally, we applied a synthetic resin, drying oils and impregnating fungicide coating.
Double coating of low-UV ray absorbency Alkyd resin based paints.
The sculpted main entrance doors were restored by a specialized wood sculptor.
All the iron and cast-iron objects were repaired. Controlled-pressure washing and sanding cycles to strip old paint off the metal.
Bolted and hammered elements. Imbullonature con ribattiture. New wall or floor stone bracket units using epoxy and/or polyurethane mortar. Lastly, every object was treated with converters (inhibiting oxidation process), and four-coats of paint (2 anti-rust + 2 varnish).